Besides itchy bites and sleepless nights, bed bugs wreak havoc in more ways than we realize. In this article, we uncover the true extent of the damages and diseases caused by bed bugs so you can better understand how harmful these tiny pests are.
What Are the Damages Caused by Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs can cause various damages and nuisances, both tangible and intangible. Here are some of the common damages caused by these pests:
- Property Damage: Bed bugs have a knack for hiding in small crevices and cracks, making it challenging to eradicate them completely. As a result, infested furniture, mattresses, and other items may need to be discarded to prevent further spread of the infestation.
- Financial Burden: Dealing with a bed bug infestation often requires professional pest control services, which can be expensive. The cost of repeated treatments, replacement of infested items, and preventive measures can quickly add up, causing a significant financial burden.
- Emotional Distress: Living with a bed bug infestation can take a toll on a person’s emotional well-being. The constant presence of these pests, the fear of being bitten, and the feeling of being invaded in one’s own home can lead to stress and anxiety.
- Social Stigma: Bed bugs have long been associated with uncleanliness and poor hygiene, leading to social stigma and embarrassment for those dealing with an infestation. Some homeowners may feel ashamed or reluctant to seek help or discuss the issue with others.
- Sleep Disruption: Bed bugs are nocturnal creatures that feed on blood during the night, often causing sleep disturbances for their human hosts.
- Health Risks: Bed bug bites can lead to secondary infections from scratching. Additionally, allergic reactions to bed bug bites can cause discomfort and require medical attention.
- Interference with Daily Life: Dealing with a bed bug infestation can disrupt daily routines and activities. The need to wash and dry clothes on high heat, vacuum regularly, and take precautionary measures to prevent further infestation can consume time and energy.
It is essential to address bed bug infestations promptly and thoroughly to mitigate the damages they can cause. If you don’t know if you have bed bugs for sure or not, look for those surefire signs that you have bedbugs here.
Don’t let pests take over your space. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and regain control over your property. Say goodbye to pests today!
Do Bed Bed Bugs Transmit Diseases?
Bedbugs are not known to transmit diseases directly to humans.
According to research, there’s no evidence of bed bugs transmitting pathogens or disease-causing agents such as viruses or bacteria through their bites.
Unlike mosquitoes or ticks, which are known vectors for diseases like malaria or Lyme disease, bed bugs primarily feed on human blood but do not transmit diseases in the same manner.
However, it’s important to note that bed bug bites can still cause secondary infections if they are scratched excessively, leading to open wounds that can become susceptible to bacterial infections.
Additionally, some individuals may experience allergic reactions to bed bug bites, which can range from mild itching and redness to more severe reactions.
Are Bed Bugs Contagious?
Bed bugs are not considered contagious in the same way as an infectious disease.
They do not spread from person to person through direct contact or respiratory droplets. Instead, they spread through infested items, such as furniture, luggage, or clothing, which act as transportation vehicles for them to move from one location to another.
How to Minimize the Damage Caused By Bed Bugs?
To minimize the damage caused by bed bugs and effectively manage an infestation, consider the following steps:
- Early Detection: Regularly inspect your living space, including mattresses, bedding, furniture, and cracks in walls or floors, for any signs of bed bugs. Look for live bugs, shed exoskeletons, dark spots, or tiny bloodstains on sheets or pillowcases.
- Prompt Action: If you suspect or confirm a bed bug infestation, act quickly and contact a professional pest control service experienced in dealing with bed bugs. They can provide an accurate assessment, treatment options, and guidance on preparation and prevention.
- Containment: Minimize the spread of bed bugs within your home by limiting movement between infested and non-infested areas. Keep infested items contained in sealed plastic bags until they can be treated or disposed of properly.
- Launder and Vacuum: Wash infested bedding, clothing, and linens in hot water (at least 49°C) and dry them on high heat to kill bed bugs. Also, regularly vacuum affected areas, including mattresses, carpets, and furniture, to remove bed bugs, eggs, and debris.
- Avoid DIY Treatments: While there are various do-it-yourself bed bug treatments available, it is generally recommended to seek professional assistance for effective eradication.
- Preventive Measures: After successfully eliminating bed bugs, take preventive measures to avoid future infestations. These include being cautious when acquiring used furniture or clothing, regularly inspecting and cleaning your living space, and using protective encasements on mattresses and box springs.
Remember, dealing with bed bugs can be challenging, and it is best to seek professional help for effective and comprehensive eradication.
How Can SWF Help with Bed Bugs?
SWF is dedicated to helping individuals and households effectively deal with bed bug infestations. With a team of trained technicians, they offer professional pest control services to safely and efficiently eliminate bed bugs from homes.
The technicians at SWF are experienced in identifying the signs of a bed bug infestation, locating their hiding spots, and implementing targeted treatments.
When it comes to pest control, safety is a top priority for SWF. They use registered insecticides that are specifically designed for bed bug control and are safe to use in residential environments. These insecticides are carefully selected to be effective against bed bugs while posing minimal risk to vulnerable humans, pets, and even plants
Don’t hesitate and contact SWF now to benefit from their highly efficient services in combating various pests and insects.
Contact us to learn how we can help you (and our prices) via: